god-of-small-things

Two Creeds



Greg Horton over at the Parish been posting for sometime about Joel Osteen of Lakewood Church in Houston, which is spending 70 million to renovate the Compaq Center as a church.

Osteen leads his congregation in this confession before every sermon:


This is my Bible.
I am what it says I am.
I have what it says I have.
I can do what it says I can do.
Today I will be taught the Word of God.
I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive.
I will never be the same.
I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible, ever-living seed of the Word of God.
I will never be the same.
Never, never, never.
I will never be the same. In Jesus name.
Amen.


Contrast that for a moment with one of the older confessions of the church, like the Apostle's Creed.



I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:
Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
The third day he rose again from the dead:
He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
I believe in the Holy Ghost:
I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:
The forgiveness of sins:
The resurrection of the body:
And the life everlasting. Amen.


The big difference? One is all about God. One is all about me. I'll let you decide which one is which.

|

Powered by Blogger